18-09-2013 19:45

Thurlow Nunn Youth League West Division


DEEPING RANGERS U 18      3       ST NEOTS TOWN U18      2       


Seven days earlier it was the St Neots U18 strikers that had won the match bringing their side back from a 2-3 deficit in the closing stages but in this match it was the strikers that let the side down.   In a one-way first half more than half a dozen clear scoring opportunities were created but the wasteful front players failed to convert their chances.   In direct contrast the home sides created only three or four clear openings yet made them count to lead the match by two goals to one at the break.   ‘We should have been out of sight by half time’ conceded team official Chris Watts ‘and after the break the contest became far more even but even then a draw would have been a fairer result.’   With their next match being an engagement in the FA Youth Cup St Neots will be hoping to be as creative but far more clinical in front of goal.


Both Diejomaoh (Rukky) and Junior Muya sent shots off target in the opening stages whereas Deeping scored in their first real attack – Fraser Sturgess sending his perfectly placed header to a Harry Jenkins free kick well beyond the reach of St Neots keeper Dan Huff.   Harlem Sambu was only inches wide with a snap shot in reply and home keeper Dylan Cliffe then saved bravely at the feet of the same player.  Deeping’s main threat came from long throws by Kieran Gregory and from one of these Nathan Parillon volleyed wide.   However it was St Neots that were constantly on the offensive and Muya did net but was ruled fractionally offside after good work by Dion Sembie-Ferris.  Rukky, Sembie-Ferris and Sambu all had clear chances to level the scores but their finishing was either poor or off target but a goal always looked likely and after 36 minutes the scores were levelled when Rukky persistently won his way to the bye line before beating the keeper from a very narrow angle.   Sturgess had a chance on the break to put the home side ahead but fired tamely over the bar and then Huff did well to push a stinging shot by Dylan Knowling for a corner.   From that set piece Kelton Stringer was judged to have handled the ball and from the resultant penalty award Fraser Sturgess claimed his second goal of the match to send Deeping in ahead at half time.


After Muya had seen an early second half effort parried by Cliffe the match settled into a more even routine with chances fewer.   The usual parade of substitutes by both sides did little to improve the game and St Neots nearest effort was a Stringer header to a Sembie-Ferris corner that was only a foot wide with Cliffe beaten.  Then on 70 minutes Sembie-Ferris beat two players on the right and crossed towards two unmarked colleagues but Harry Jenkins a former St Neots youth player turned the ball past his own keeper to level the scores once more.   With eleven minutes left Dan Huff produced the save of the match full length to deny Dan Powell but it did not delay Deeping for long because a minute later Nathan Parillon turned sharply in the box to claim what proved to be the winning goal.



St Neots: Huff, Hartley (C),Mattin, Stringer, Poli, Hartley (D), Diejomaoh, Harper-Scott, Muya, Sambu, Sembie-Ferris.

Subs used:  Meeds, Lopes, and Fawcus-Williams.


Cards:  Poli (Y – 90+3)

Goals (St Neots):  Diejomaoh (36 mins) OG (70 mins)



John Walker