09-01-2013 19:45
TNC Round Two


Thurlow Nunn Youth League Cup Round Two




Chestnut Avenue Peterborough is fast becoming a jinxed ground for St Neots for this was the fifth visit by a St Neots side at all levels and there has only been one victory.   The Youth team drew on their League visit but this was their first Thurlow Nunn defeat of the season as they crashed out of the League Cup.   On a cold night the home side scored twice in the opening fifteen minutes and then defended in numbers particularly after the break clearly very happy to hang on to their slender advantage.   St Neots tried hard to retrieve the deficit but did not produce their usual fluency especially in attack where leading scorer Karl Safee lacked support.


The home side went ahead after just six minutes when an inswinging Ashley Clipston corner was not cleared and the ball fell to Kane Gilbert to last into the net.   For a spell play was end to end with St Neots creating openings but David Hartley shot narrowly wide after good work by Rukky and then a Rukky shot was blocked by a defender.   Then on a quarter hour a second goal for the home side seemed to unnerve St Neots.   Aaron Warrener won his way to the byeline on the right and pulled the ball back to Azizullah Dost for a simple tap in finish.   Sean Barker looked lively on the right for St Neots and he saw a shot well saved by David George and after 24 minutes Barker got the ball in the net from a Dan Mattin cross but was ruled fractionally offside.   Peterborough looked dangerous on the break particularly down their left flank and an Ashley Clipston free kick was pushed onto his cross bar by Josh Banthorpe.   The half finished with Rukky spotting George off his line but his clever chip landed on the roof of the net.


St Neots needed a positive start to the second half but their only real chance after 51 minutes saw the hardworking Karl Safee head narrowly wide from a Barker cross.   The home side reorganised with a more defensive formation leaving just one player in attack and it became very frustrating for the visitors as they tried to break through.  Peterborough continued to look dangerous on the break and a delightful through ball by Clipston played substitute Josh Sanders clear but he shot wide from six yards.  St Neots rotated their players utilising four substitutes and skipper Jamie Massey pushed forward set up Harry Jenkins who shot over the bar.   As the half progressed St Neots enjoyed the greater share of possession but lacked ideas especially in the final third of the pitch.   The last ten minutes was all St Neots as they looked to send the game into extra time.   George produced the save of the match as he bravely dived at the feet of Safee after good work by Massey and Jenkins and with two minutes left St Neots got some reward when Karl Safee scored set up by Massey.   Sadly it was too little too late and St Neots have their Cup hopes this season now resting on the Huntingdonshire Youth Cup.



St Neots: Banthorpe, Massey, Mattin, Jenkins, Tousaint-Jackson, Moya, Barker, Hartley, Safee, Belgrove, Diejomadh (Rooky),


Subs used:  Tamakloe, Leonce, Cochrane and Sembie-Ferris.

            not used: Gibbons


Cards:  Massey (Y – 55)


John Walker