14-11-2013 19:45

Thurlow Nunn Youth West Division


ST NEOTS TOWN U18      6      BLACKSTONES      1      


Playing against Blackstones who are the whipping boys in the West Division of the Thurlow Nunn League this season, St Neots dominated the match to record on paper a very convincing victory.   However Blackstones have lost all eight outings this season and look a very underweight and inexperienced side and St Neots could have taken the opportunity to boost their goal difference further than they did.   St Neots domination is easily portrayed by the fact that their visitors managed just one direct shot on goal in the ninety minutes and that produced their goal – only the fourth league goal they have scored this season.   Once again St Neots were without several unavailable players and they were probably guilty of playing too much football in and around their visitors’ penalty area.   However despite being under constant pressure the Blackstones defence performed with a gritty determination and made St Neots work hard for their goals.


In the opening quarter of an hour St Neots had three good openings but the final shots from Reuben White and Jordan Brown (twice) were wide of goal.   Then after 15 minutes Blake Rivers beat his marker to cross for Luke Day to open the scoring from close range.   Twelve minutes later St Neots were awarded a penalty when Brown was brought down anf he picked himself up to take the kick but blazed the ball over the bar.   However he made amends after 33 minutes when he arrived at the right time to convert a cross from substitute Rukky Diejomaoh to make it 2-0.   Rukky’s pace seemed to boost St Neots attacking efforts and he also laid on the third goal seconds before half time with Brown once more the scorer.


Blackstones with Lewis Morley playing a lone role up front seldom visited the St Neots penalty area as play continued to produce one-way traffic towards the visitors’ goal after the break.  Visiting keeper Matt Sewell was in fairly constant action and he produced the save of the match to deny substitute Remi Fawcus-Williams a shot that looked certain to add to the score after 52 minutes but a minute later it was 4-0 as Blake Rivers hit a great shot from 25 yards that the keeper never saw.   St Neots continued to buzz around the Blackstones goal but too many final passes went astray and it was the 77th minute before Luke Day scored his second goal from Rukky’s third assist.   The final St Neots goal came eleven minutes from time from Fawcus-Williams who followed up to score after his initial effort rebounded from a post.  With just five minutes left Blackstones’ first direct shot a goal – a free kick from Joe Morley was misjudged by St Neots underworked keeper Dan Huff to hand the visitors their consolation goal.




St Neots: Huff, Mattin, Smith, Stringer, Poli, Harper-Scott, Rivers, White, Day, Hartley (D), Brown   

Subs used:  Williams, Davis, Fawcus-Williams and Diejomaoh.


Cards:  none


Goals (St Neots):  Day 2 (15 mins & 77 mins), Brown 2 (33 mins & 45 mins), Rivers 53 mins), Fawcus-Williams (79 mins)


John Walker