26-03-2014 19:45

Thurlow Nunn Youth West Division


ST NEOTS TOWN U18      11         RAMSEY TOWN U18      0  


Overall it has not been an outstanding season for the St Neots U18 side but they went out with a real bang thrashing luckless Ramsey by eleven goals to nil in their final league match of the season.   It took their tally of goals in their last three league matches to twenty six for and just one against and with this sort of consistent form throughout the season they would surely have clinched the league title with plenty to spare.   However their unfortunate mid season blip saw them record just one victory in five matches around the turn of the year and that cost them dear.   However a good number of the squad were younger recruits who are available again next season and so the experience gained this time around will prove invaluable.   A word too for the visitors who battled valiantly against much superior opposition yet never gave up trying and played a significant part in a match that contained not a single bad foul.

It started badly when St Neots had a goal disallowed after 13 minutes for a foul spotted by the referee but it only delayed their first half onslaught by two minutes because Chris Lewis nipped in to score after 15 minutes after a shot from Rukky Diejomaoh had been parried by visiting keeper Jake Galloway.   That set off a chain reaction of five goals in ten minutes that effectively sealed the result of the match.   St Neots were irresistible as they laid siege to the Ramsey goal and after 17 minutes Blake Rivers added the second goal when a Lewis shot was too hot for Galloway to handle.  Two minutes later Dan Hobbs joined the scoring spree scoring from close range after delightful run and cross by Lewis and it was 4-0 after 23 minutes as mitchell Taylor threaded the ball through the shell shocked Ramsey defence and Hobbs showed great skill to control the ball and score.   Galloway made two excellent saves to deny Diejomaoh and substitute Remi Fawcus-Williams but Diejomaoh then set up a simple chance for Lewis to score his second of the half with a crisp finish.   A minute before half time Hobbs completed his hat trick with a thundering left foot shot to send his side to the break 6-0 ahead.

Galloway twice denied Diejomaoh early in the second half but substitute Sam Williams came on to score the goal of the match after 55 minutes with a 30 yards screamer.   It was 8-0 five minutes later when Hobbs picked his spot to claim his fourth goal of the match and hard working skipper David Hartley who had been totally controlling the match in midfield scored a rare goal with a near post header after 66 minutes.   The goal that lifted the score into double figures came after 77 minutes when Lewis became the second St Neots player to record a hat trick but the biggest cheer of the evening came eight minutes from time when Rukky Diejomaoh became the sixth different scorer for St Neots after he had mesmerised Ramsey with his pace and dribbling throughout but had no luck in front of goal.   It was a great way to finish the season but the hard work for next season starts very soon.


St Neots: Huff, Jones, Harper-Scott, Stringer, Mattin, Hartley (D), Rivers, Taylor, Lewis, Hobbs, Diejomaoh


Subs used:  Fawcus-Williams, Williams and White


Cards:  none


Goals (St Neots):  Hobbs 4 (19, 23, 45 & 65 mins), Lewis 3 (15, 25 & 77 mins), Rivers (17 mins), Williams (55 mins), David Hartley (66 mins), Diejomaoh (82 mins).



John Walker