ST NEOTS TOWN         1             GODMANCHESTER ROVERS          3     

St Neots went into this match looking to extend an unbeaten run of twelve matches.   However, this cannot be regarded as ‘unlucky 13’. St Neots were well beaten by a side that they had already defeated three times this season, but this replay of the Senior Cup semi-final ordered by the Huntingdonshire FA was almost a one-way display by a confident visiting side well deserving of their appearance in the final later this season – at St Neots! The home side probably went into the match in an overconfident mood after their previous victories, but the visiting side clearly had other ideas. Having raced into an early two goals lead they out thought and out played their hosts leaving St Neots’ confidence in tatters. With Rhys Thorpe cup-tied and Jordan Brown unavailable the home attack looked short of ideas and threat, but it was their defence that must bear the brunt of this disaster for conceding three poor goals. Tom Rowley and Magloire Muyembe came in for the two absent strikers and the only other change saw Dammy Nickels preferred to Tommy Reynolds at full back.

The visitors dominated the first half hour after Alfie Turner had squandered the first real opening after just seven minutes firing wildly over the crossbar. They then settled down to produce some significant finishing to stroll into a two goals lead. After eleven minutes visiting striker Mani Gbejuade showed persistence to out manoeuvre his marker to put the visitors in front and before St Neots had shown any come-back, five minutes later a quick break saw Alfie Turner go past stranded home keeper James Goff to double the lead.  A significant response was required from the home side, but their only threat came from Harvey Williams who headed over the bar following a corner. Visiting keeper Ben Newton was in fine form saving from James Hatch and dominating his penalty area as St Neots tried to respond but the main home threat was blunted when Williams was fouled for a third time and forced the leave the field – Israel Ajana substituting. St Neots needed to rethink their approach, so they brought on Ayomide Akinbobola to add some threatening pace in attack.

A third substitution shortly after the break was St Neots final throw of the dice but they made little headway with attempts by Dammy Nickells and Magloire Muyembe off target and the assured Newton saved well from Charlie Bown following a corner.   Newton then saved well again from James Hatch and after reshaping their attack with substitutions, the visitors then effectively clinched the result with a third goal on the break as substitute Sammy Fisher set up Mani Gbejuade for his second goal with the St Neots defence is disarray. In the 90th minute St Neots had the ball in the net but saw their efforts ruled out but they persisted and five minutes into added time substitute Ayomide Akinbobola (left) claimed his second goal for the side – but it was little consolation at the end of a performance best forgotten.



Tonight’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match, Kindly Sponsored by The Greystones Public House, Sawtry, was awarded to JAMES HATCH






St Neots Town:   Goff, Nickels, Culkin, Parker, Brookes, Bowen, Rowley, Tavernier, Hatch, Muyembe, Williams

Subs:  Ajana (for Williams 59 mins), Akinbobola (for Rowley 45+2 mins), Dummett (for Tavernier 55 mins), Reynolds, and Black.

Cards:  Brookes (Y – 34 mins), Hatch (Y – 45 mins)

Godmanchester Rovers:  Newton, Sosoli, O’Boyle, Arnold, Wallis, Goodale, Turner, Tait, Gbejuade, Watson, Spark

Subs:   Fisher (for Watson 69 mins), Green (for Spark 75 mins), Tagg (for Gbejuade 87 mins), Aftersmith and Green.

Cards:  Turner (Y – 38 mins), Wallis (Y – 45 mins), Arnold (Y – 61 mins)

Attendance: 215

Referee:   Josh Crofts

(John Walker)