St NEOTS TOWN U18    3     ST IVES TOWN U18    2                                        

The second meeting of these two sides in eight days produced an identical result but a very different contest. At St Ives it was a game of two halves with St Neots dominating the first 45 mins but St Ives coming back to almost snatch a point. This match saw a see-saw contest throughout, with each leading the other before a third goal by the home side clinched the points. A feature of this match were the injuries and time-wasting after the break which saw eleven and a half minutes extra time added at the end of the game.

St Neots were quickly into their stride when a crisp finish by Harleigh Camfield after six minutes saw them take the lead. St Ives defended well after this early setback but created little in attack with Rocco Smith, Frankie Webster and Camfield all spurning chances to increase the lead. Then just before the break the St Neots defence failed to mark visiting defender George Shepherd and he headed home an equaliser from a corner to leave the sides all square at half time.

The visitors began the second half well with Evan Watkins firing wide after the home defence had been breached. The pattern continued and after 51 minutes when a visiting player tumbled just inside the penalty area Jack Hodgson put St Ives 2-1 ahead from the spot. St Neots rallied and a cross from Rocco Smith rebounded from the cross bar, and Uriah Brewster shot wide. Then, with 15 minutes left St Neots levelled as Will Jolley took advantage of defensive hesitancy. At 2-2 St Neots went for the kill dominating the remaining time and they were rewarded three minutes into added time when Harleigh Camfield claimed his second goal of the match. The result opened up a gap of eight points between the top two and the chasing pack with St Neots two points behind leaders Deeping Rangers.


St Neots Town:  Bent, Hughes-Graham, Olive, Jolley (J), Webster, Baker (A), Smith, Brewster, Camfield, Jolley (W), Ugarte-Edwards

Subs:  Baker (L), Coleman, Tonks, Khoo, Collins.

Cards:  Webster (Y – 72 mins).

Referee:  Simon Ward

John Walker