An unchanged St Neots side replicated Desborough’s last league visit to the town as they dominated the first half of this match scoring four goals without reply, finishing up on that occasion scoring ten goals. However, this victory turned out to be less dramatic than that occasion when the match finished 10-0 in St Neots’ favour. After the break in front of a record midweek crowd of 274 spectators, there was less excitement as the visitors gamely hit back but St Neots had the last word with an added time fifth goal. The result helped them to retain their top spot in the league table – one of just two sides still with a 100% record, the other being March Town who defeated Eynesbury Rovers, and the two meet this Saturday in a show down at March. Manager Cameron Mawer was delighted with his side as he presided over his first home midweek fixture.

Full back Dammy Nickells featured in St Neots first attack in the first sixty seconds, but he saw his shot blocked by a defender and in the next home attack a Tom Rowley effort was deflected for a corner. However, St Neots early pressure was maintained and after 18 minutes they took the lead when a Rowley cross from close to the bye line was converted by Sam Johnson for his first goal at home. Lorrell Smith then forced a full length save from visiting keeper Adam Honour, and Johnson sent a free kick narrowly over the bar. Then in a purple seven minutes spell midway through the first half a rampant St Neots side added three further goals. Lorrell Smith scored the first, latching onto a through pass from James Hatch to score with an angled finish, and then James Hatch added the third goal with Johnson the provider. It was 4-0 after 33 minutes as Dammy Nickells added his name to the score sheet with a lengthy cross-cum-shot that evaded several players in the six yards box to creep in at the far post – his first goal for the club.  Apart from a goal line clearance by skipper Kyle Lincoln from a rare visitors’ attack there was little other notable first half action.

Desborough came out after the break seemingly determined to make up for a poor first half showing. Will Russell forced a smart save from James Goff, and the keeper then had to dive bravely at the feet of James Hamill to break up a Desborough attack. St Neots introduced substitute Israel Ajana their goal scorer from the weekend, and he was quickly in action beating three players on the right to bring a full length save from Honour at the expense of a corner. Further substitutions by both sides followed and the match lost some intenseness but after 71 minutes Desborough were rewarded for their efforts when Goff left his line to gather a high cross but failed to collect leaving Will Russell with a simple tap-in goal for the visitors. This appeared to jerk St Neots into a more positive approach and substitute Don Lawless tested the visiting keeper. Goff made up for his earlier error with an impressive save to deny Archie Elmore a second Desborough goal from a well-placed free kick and as the match moved into added time Dom Lawless claimed his first goal of the campaign chipping a shot over the visiting keeper to complete the scoring.



Tonight’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match – Kindly sponsored by the Greystones Public House, Sawtry – LORRELL SMITH





St Neots Town: Goff, Kalek, Nickels, Brown, George, Lincoln, Johnson, Muyembe, Smith, Hatch, Rowley

Subs:  Ajana (for Johnson 58 mins), Lawless (for Smith 67 mins), Romero (for Hatch 90+1 min), Barnett (for Rowley 90+6 mins), and Williams.

Cards:  Goff (Y – 80 mins), George (sinbinned 81 mins)

Desborough Town:  Honour (A), Anderson, Mihalcov, White Davies, Honour (L), Little. Randall, Russell, Elmore, Hamill

Subs:  Hundal (for White 50 mins), Usman (for Anderson 67 mins), Coates (for Hamill 77 mins), Tebbutt (for Little 83 mins), Duggan (for Russell 88 mins).

Cards:  Anderson (Y – 42 mins)

Referee:  Gary Ogden (Milton Keynes)

Attendance: 274

(John Walker)