ST NEOTS TOWN           0            YAXLEY FC         0  

In 51 previous league and cup meetings there had only been two nil-nil draws between St Neots and Yaxley and the huge crowd of 351 must have been hoping for a goal fest. However, the two sides looked very evenly matched, both goalkeepers performed well, and the supporters had to content themselves with the fact that neither side lost. The visitors just shaded the first 45 minutes, but St Neots came back to be the better side after the break.   So, both sides stay in the top four in the league table and will meet again in the return match at the end of next month. St Neots welcomed back goalkeeper James Goff and included Nathan George and Tom Reynolds, for Malaki Black suspended and Rev Kalek on the bench.

St Neots created the first real chance after seven minutes when Kyle Lincoln stole up from the back to be set up by Jordan Brown, but his finish was too high. At the other end five minutes later Matthew Harris-Hercules was left unmarked in front of goal, but he dragged his effort wide. The game then settled with the visitors having the better of the first half possession but failing to seriously threaten the St Neots goal. Harris-Hercules saw another effort blocked after good work by Lil Francisco and just before the break following a free kick, Harvey Henderson shot wide. The final action of the first half saw a good effort by Rio Henderson well saved by home keeper James Goff.

It was a better contest after half time with St Neots pepping up their attack with the lively Israel Ajana on wide for Tom Rowley. St Neots took the early initiative with Jordan Brown seeing a net-bound effort deflected for a corner and Magloire Muyembe skimming the crossbar from distance. Ajana set up Jordan Brown, but his effort was too high and then visiting keeper Conor Barton saved at the near post from Sam Johnson. A second St Neots substitution saw the return of Harvey Williams after a four matches injury break, but he had only been on three minutes when he was scythed down earning a booking for Loui Catt. Muyembe had a shot blocked and Nathan George headed over the bar from a corner as St Neots failed to make their superior possession count, but with substitutes on the visitors made a late effort to find a winning goal. Matthew Harris-Hercules won a corner in the air, but James Goff saved well tipping his effort over the bar and Jordan Brown could have won it for St Neot six minutes from time, but Barton saved well and Goff then earned his man-of-the-match award with an important save three minutes from time to deny Harris-Hercules.

It was a fair result to an evenly contested match that neither side deserved to lose.





Today’s Saints Supporters Man of the Match – Kindly Sponsored by the Greystones Public House, Sawtry – JAMES GOFF







St Neots Town:   Goff, Reynolds, Josh Brown, Dummett, George, Lincoln, Rowley, Muyembe, Jordan Brown, Hatch, Johnson

Subs:  Ajana (for Rowley 46 mins), Williams (for Johnson 65 mins), Romero, Kalek, and Apat.

Cards:  Myembe (Y – 64 mins), Josh Brown (Y – 81 mins)

Yaxley:   Barton, Catt, Henderson (H), Chilvers, Henderson (F), Francisco, Henson,  Baines, Nicholson-Barfoot, Harris-Hercules, Gomes

Subs:  Arnold (for Henderson (F) 77 mins), Goldson-Williams (for Nicholson-Barfoot 77 mins), Shenille (for Catt 85  mins), Younos and Shorunmu.

Cards:  Henderson (H) (Y – 52 mins), Catt (Y – 67 mins)

Attendance: 351

Referee:  Christopher Walton (Kettering)

(John Walker)