ST NEOTS TOWN U18      1          WISBECH ST MARY        1               

St Neots Town U18’s almost surrendered their two years unbeaten at home record when they were surprised by a spirited performance from visiting Wisbech St Mary. All seemed lost until a minute from time when they rescued a point with that late goal to save their blushes. The Manager had rung the changes from their opening league match with four changes in the starting line-up and the team took some time to settle. Having opened their season with a victory the visitors looked confident and composed and look likely to improve on last season’s record.

Apart from a shot by Jaiden Bell for the home side comfortably gathered by visiting keeper Tyler Key after nine minutes the opening phase of the match was dominated by the visitors. St Neots were too often let down by poor passing and their inability to clear their lines when under pressure. Matt Perkins went clear for the visitors, but Luke Smith got back to clear and then the same visiting player brought a good save from George Anthony. However, after 34 minutes the visitors deservedly took the lead when a great run by Jamie Nixon saw him open the scoring. Two minutes later Perkins went clear but was tripped on the edge of the area, but Anthony saved the direct free kick. St Neots best first half chances were wasted without the visiting keeper being seriously tested.

Substitute Jack Nicholls livened up the home attack after the break, but he sent his best chance over the bar.   After 73 minutes the visitors had the ball in the net again, but the home side were saved by an offside flag. As the visiting side tired, St Neots had their best spell in the final ten minutes of the game and the lively Bell brought a good save from visiting keeper Key. Home skipper Charlie Clark then sent a free kick narrowly over the bar and there was just sixty seconds of normal time remaining when a right-wing attack ended with Gabriel Tonks rescuing a point for the champions with a narrow angled finish.



St Neots Town U18 :  Anthony, Samupita, Plummer, Khoo, Smith, Francisco, Morris, Clark, Tonks, Bell, Stainsby.

Subs:   Watson, Nicholls, Paton, Webster, and Baker.

Cards:  Clark (Y – 39 mins), Smith (Y – 49 mins)

Referee:   Jamie Carter

(John Walker)