ST NEOTS TOWN         2          GNG OADBY         2

Leading 2-0 approaching half time St Neots looked well set to bounce back from two consecutive away league defeats but a late first half goal and a strong second half saw their Leicestershire visitors deservedly earn a share of the points. Ironically both sides will view this result as two points dropped because Oadby had won all four league matches since they had beaten by St Neots in the first meeting of the two sides a month ago. With Tommy Reynolds unavailable and Sam Johnson unfit, Magloire Muyembe also started on the bench after injury, meaning that there were senior debuts for Rhys Thorpe and Jamal Batchilly with the versatile Josh Brown returning in defence.

The visitors looked to have brought their improved form with them because they dominated the opening quarter of an hour with some confident attacking play. Mussa Bham was particularly threatening for the visitors shooting just wide and bringing an important save from James Goff as well as setting up Henry Langley with a headed chance from a well-placed free kick which he sent wide of target. St Neots only reply in that period was a shot across the face of goal by Harvey Williams. However, after 16 minutes in their first credible attack St Neots took the lead as Jordan Brown skilfully beat his man on the bye line and crossed to find the head of Rhys Thorpe (left) who registered his first goal for the club. Visiting keeper Frederick Craven then had to rush from his line to clear off the toe of Jordan Brown who had gone clear of the defence, and the same player set up by Williams then skied an effort over the crossbar.  Then after 31 minutes St Neots extended their lead when Thorpe played a pass inside a defender for Jordan Brown (right) to bear down on goal and claim his eighth goal of the season. Simeon Okord broke through and looked like pulling a goal back but shot wide and Lamar Parkes brought a smart save from James Goff.  James Hatch headed wide from a Williams cross and then right on half time the visitors got back into the match when Mussa Bham produced a fine 25 yards strike that flew into the top corner of the net to pull a goal back for the visitors.

Oadby then began the second half strongly with Langley volleying wide and Zaakir Bham seeing an effort deflected for a corner. St Neots sent on Magloire Muyembe for Batchilly, and he set up Williams who saw his shot well saved.  At the other end, Goff had to push an effort from Mussa Bham over the bar at full stretch and as the half progressed the visitors began to take control.  With nine minutes of normal time remaining a cross by Sulieman Nassor found Jay Bruce in space and he levelled the scores with a crisp finish.  The remaining time plus six minutes added saw both sides looking for a winning goal, but a draw was probably a fair result with Goff the busier of the two keepers.




Today’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match – Kindly Sponsored by The Greystones Public House, Sawtry, was awarded to JORDAN BROWN







St Neots:   Goff, Josh Brown, Nickels, Dummett, George, Lincoln, Thorpe, Batchilly, Jordan Brown, Hatch, Williams

Subs:  Muyembe (for Batchilly 61 mins), Ajana (for Williams 84 mins), Romero, Akinbobola and  Bomolo.

Cards:  Hatch (Y – 78 mins), Mawar (Y – 78 mins)


GNG Oadby:  Craven, Okord, Bains, Francis, Abdi, Bruce, Bham (Z), Langley, Parkes, Bham (M), Nassor

Subs:  Hussain (for Bham (Z) 80 mins), Dhami (for Bains 86 mins)

Cards:  Bruce (Y – 78 mins)


Attendance: 325

Referee:  Thomas Roberts (Rushden)



(John Walker)