Cheshunt        3          St Neots Town         1        

The defining moment in this FA Cup tie came in the 53rd Minute when the home side had the ball in the net, but a goal was originally ruled out by an offside flag. Home side protests followed and after consultation with his Assistant, Referee Luke Scott reversed his decision deciding that the ball had struck a defender on its passage to the scorer. That was a second bitter blow for the visitors who had surrendered their early first half lead when they conceded an equaliser deep into time added on at the end of the first half. St Neots boss Pete Gill was pleased with his sides’ overall performance against their higher graded hosts but rued his sides’ missed chances especially in the first 45 minutes when a second goal could have proved crucial. So, St Neots Town’s attempt at a fourth FA Cup victory this season foundered despite a brave display against a side two levels higher than themselves.   Jamie Greygoose returned in goal, Toib Adeyemi was back at the heart of the defence, skipper Callum Anderson had recovered from injury and Saleem Akanbi was preferred to Manny Osei who was with Charlie Stallard on the bench alongside goalkeeper Tom Finch and Robbie Mason. Also missing was the injured Charlie Lewis.

Cheshunt began well and a rising shot from Isaac Newton was deflected for a corner with Jamie Greygoose unsighted. The visitors then gave the ball away in midfield and it took a fine save by Greygoose to deny Newton as he tipped the ball over the bar and from the corner the hosts had a third early chance, but Joe Tarpey was well placed to clear off the line. After this uncertain start St Neots settled taking the match to the home side and creating their own chances.  Aaron Smith dashed down the left but shot over the bar, home keeper Preston Edwards was forced into a full length save from Andre Hasanally and then the visitors took the lead after 23 minutes. Trey Charles burst through the home defence to be brought down by Ola Williams earning the home skipper a caution and when Hasanally’s free kick was only parried by Edwards, Harvey Beckett claimed his second goal in successive matches to put the visitors in front. Three minutes later the score should have been doubled when Decan Nche split the home defence to free Hasanally but with only the keeper to beat he shot the wrong side of a post. Edwards then produced a fine save to deny Charles whilst at the other end Greygoose was in action saving from Mohamed Camara. Just as it looked as though St Neots lead would take them to the break the lively Isaac Newton beat Greygoose with a well-struck low shot to level the scores.

After Charles and Hasanally had failed to convert early second half chances the controversial home side second goal netted by Brandon Adams saw the Conference side in front for the first time after 53 minutes. However, St Neots recovered well for Charles to have one free kick saved before ballooning a second over the crossbar. Cheshunt broke forward for Adams to test the St Neots keeper who pushed his shot for a corner, but St Neots were enjoying better possession and Charles had another free kick saved and Saleem Akanbi brough a fine near post save from the home keeper after neat play by Nche.

In a home side breakaway attack Greygoose saved bravely at the feet of Adams and in the final ten minutes St Neots mounted an all-out attack looking for an equaliser. Three home players were booked as they desperately defender their narrow lead but caught short in defence St Neots conceded a very late third goal as substitute Reece Richards was left in acres of space and took full advantage.


Today’s Travelling Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match was awarded to HARVEY BECKETT

St Neots Town: Greygoose, Smith, Tarpey, Anderson, Beckett, Adeyemi, Barton, Nche, Charles, Hasanally, Akanbi.

Subs:  Osei (for Akanbi 82 mins), Mason (for Nche 85 mins), Stallard and Finch.

Cards:  none

Goals:  Beckett (23 mins)



Cheshunt: Edwards, Cracknell, Williams, Camara, McKenzie, Da Silva, Econgo, Re, Liburd, Adams, Newton.

Subs: Golding (for Williams 64 mins), Soca (for Re 76 mins), Richards (for Liburd 78 mins), Chima, Snow and Rose.

Cards: Williams (Y – 23 mins), Cracknell (Y – 58 mins), Soca (Y – 90+2 mins), Newton (Y – 90+4 mins), Camara (Y – 90+6 mins).

Goals: Newton (45+1 min), Adams (53 mins), Richards (90+7 mins)

Attendance: 356

Referee: Luke Scott (Northampton)

John Walker