Pre-Season Friendly

St Neots Town               3      Biggleswade Town           3

This competitive and entertaining match ranks as the best of St Neots’ pre-season outings to date. Either side could have won an end-to-end encounter but both Managers will have been pleased with both the performance of their side and the outcome – a match neither side deserved to lose. On another sticky evening the commitment of either side was admirable as they prepare for the start of the season just ten days hence.   The two sides would have faced each other in league competition this year with the Waders relegation from Step Three but St Neots removal to the Northern Premier pyramid has negated that opportunity.

St Neots created the first opportunity, but Manny Osei headed Dan Barton’s precise cross wide of the far post after three minutes and five minutes later the visitors capitalised as the impressive Jon Clements headed home a corner from Dave Keenleyside. However, after visiting keeper Timmy Smith had made a fine save to deny Trey Charles, the home levelled after 17 minutes when another searching cross by the speedy Barton found the head of Trey Charles at the near post, and he netted past the statuesque goalkeeper. St Neots then enjoyed a good spell of pressure leading to their second goal as Declan Nche converted a cross by Joe Tarpey.   Another Keenleyside corner produced the Biggleswade equaliser, this time a Harry Draper header beat the home keeper. It looked like an equal share of four goals would see the sides to half time but two minutes before the break the visitors struck again as Jon Clements’ speed took him around the home keeper for a simple tap-in finish.

Just ten minutes into the second half the scores were levelled again as Brandon Njoku added St Neots third goal after the impressive Callum Anderson had woven his way through the visiting defence. At that stage further goals seemed inevitable but understandably the pace dropped, and defences began to dominate. St Neots had the better of the latter stages and Smith had to save bravely at the feet of Njoku, before the same St Neots player forced the keeper into a full length save after more impressive work by Barton.

Att. 121

(John Walker)