ST NEOTS TOWN         3          HISTON         2

After dominating the first 84 minutes of this local derby and looking comfortable and deserved victors, St Neots were hit by a late Histon whirlwind that saw the visitors score twice and almost snatch a surprise point. However, the home side clung on by the skin of their teeth for what may prove an important home victory. The late Histon revival came courtesy of the return after suspension of striker James Burnside, who scored twice in as many minutes to send the home side into panic mode. After their anonymous showing against neighbours Eynesbury on Boxing Day, this was St Neots back to their best as they restricted their visitors to long range shooting, and they should have easily seen out a more comfortable victory but for that late Histon surge. St Neots made two changes in defence with Kyle Lincoln and Dean Dummett returning to the side at the expense of Josh Brown and Christian Tavernier.

The hosts were quickly into their stride as Harvey Williams broke through to shoot narrowly wide but on the break the visitors created openings and former Saint Joe Sutton rattled the home crossbar from 35 yards. Lene Burden then headed into the side netting from a corner, but St Neots looked comfortably in control as Jordan Brown saw a fierce drive parried by visiting keeper Sam Roach, and Williams was only just off target. After 21 minutes Williams burst into the area to be upended by Myles Smith who was booked, and Magloire Muyembe stepped up to net his third goal of the season from the penalty spot.   Williams had another effort blocked and the hard-working Rhys Thorpe saw his free kick deflected for a corner from which James Hatch headed over the bar. On the stroke of half time only a goal line clearance by Jake Kerins prevented a second goal for the hosts.

The pattern continued after the break and just two minutes after the restart the lead was doubled as a neat cross field pass set up Harvey Williams (Left) for St Neots’ second goal. Thorpe then forced a full length save from Roach and Jordan Brown had the ball in the net but was ruled offside. After 63 minutes a long clearance from James Goff release Rhys Thorpe (Right) and he beat the offside trap to advance on goal to add St Neots third goal. That should have given the home side an unassailable lead but with six minutes left Histon substitute James Burnside celebrated his return from injury with a smart finish through a statuesque home defence. Two minutes late the same visiting player finished off a slick move to put his side within touching distance of a famous comeback. However, the home defence dug in and managed to repel the best efforts of the visiting side through seven minutes of added time to take all three points.


Today’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match – Kindly Sponsored by The Greystones Public House, Sawtry – JAMES HATCH





St Neots:   Goff, Nickels, Culkin, Dummett, George, Lincoln, Jordan Brown, Muyembe, Thorpe, Hatch,Williams

Subs:  Ajana (for Brown 77 mins), Brooks (for George 78 mins), Akinbobola (for Thorpe 90+4 mins), Josh Brown, and Rowley.

Cards:  Muyembe (Y – 12 mins), Nickels (Y – 90 mins), Hatch (Y – 90+6 mins)


Histon:   Roach, Pepple, Smith, Towner, York. Kerins, Cole, Camara, Barnes, Burden, Sutton

Subs:  Leka (for Smith 68 mins), Burnside (for Sutton 73 mins), Motley (for Pepple 82 mins), Todd (for Cole 92 mins), and Monks.

Cards:  Smith (Y – 21 mins)

Referee:  Paul McVey (Peterborough)

(John Walker)