St Neots returned to winning ways with an impressive victory over the fancied Daventry side that had accompanied them down from Step Four at the end of last season. It was a victory achieved in some style with four goals scored and only an added time goal against to blot an otherwise unblemished performance. Their midweek signing striker Jordan Brown was the star of the show, deservedly winning the man of the match award with an energetic performance that ripped open the visiting defence. With striker Lorrell Smith opting to move on and his expected replacement Dom Lawless unavailable, the signing of Brown, who last played for St Neots seven years earlier as a developing member of their youth side, was perfect timing as the pre-season promotion favourites were put to the sword. Apart from Brown replacing Lawless the only other team change saw the return of Rev Kalek in defence for Malaki Black who was on the bench.

After the opening exchanges former Saint Leon Lobjoit had an early shot blocked for the visitors and Sam Johnson shot over the bar at the other end.  After twelve minutes Jordan Brown wriggled through the visiting defence to be brough down just inside the box and after consulting an Assistant, the Referee awarded a penalty and booked visiting keeper Kacper Kurylowicz. Sam Johnson confidently despatched the penalty kick and ten minutes later Harvey Williams had a net bound shot deflected for a corner. As expected Lobjoit was always going to be a handful for the home defence, but he squandered a good chance to level the scores heading over from ten yards after 31v minutes. St Neots reinforced their hold on the match eight minutes before the break when from a Johnson corner Nathan George rose above the defence to head home his first goal for St Neots. Brown was again brought down but St Neots were unable to take advantage of the free kick but three minutes before the break it was Brown who saw a narrow-angled effort rebound from a post.

The visitors had a player sin-binned early in the second half and St Neots took full advantage after 55 minutes when from a Johnson corner Rev Kalek rose to head home to record his first goal for St Neots. The home was now dominating play and Dean Dummett saw an effort deflected for a corner. After 65 minutes it was 4-0 when another Johnson corner was only cleared as far as Nathan George who smashed home his second goal of the match to put his side in an unassailable position. Second half substitutes seemed to boost the visiting side who finished the match strongly and they were rewarded in injury time when a goalkeeping error handed Lobjoit a consolation goal against his former side.

Today’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match – kindly sponsored bt the Greystones Public House

St Neots Town:   Goff, Kalek, Nickels, Dummett, George, Lincoln, Johnson, Muyembe, Brown, Rowley, Williams                                                                                                                                Subs:  Perkins (for Brown 74 mins), Ajana (for Johnson 79 mins), Romero (for Rowley 84 mins), Reynolds, and Black.

Cards:  Nickels (Y – 72 mins)

Daventry Town:  Kurylowicz, Magagada, Marshall, Archer, Bird, Keane, Beck, Bettles, Shariff, Lobjoit, Allen

Subs:  Tkacik (for Bird 59 mins), Corcoran (for Keane 66 mins), Dickens (for Bettles 66 mins), Cerga, and Squillance,

Cards:  Kurylowicz (Y – 12 mins), Bird (Y – 23 mins), Beck (sin-binned 49 mins), Beck (Y – 69 mins), Marshall (Y -87 mins).

Referee:  Matthew Basterfield (Luton)

Attendance: 274

(John Walker)