GNG OADBY TOWN          2        ST NEOTS TOWN       5 

St Neots maintained their top of the table berth with a comfortable away win over Oadby Town. They scored five goals away from home for the first time since January 2016 but were disappointed to concede two late in the second half when the match was effectively won. All credit to the home side who competed well regardless of their defensive frailties but the result will be good for the confidence of the team going into next Saturday’s important FA Vase match. A settled team is always a good recipe for results and there was just one enforced change from the midweek home victory, with Dean Dummett returning to the side in the place of skipper Kyle Lincoln who was unavailable.

St Neots began in confident mood with home keeper Frederick Craven forced into an early save at the feet of Jordan Brown. Twelve minutes later following a Harvey Williams corner, Nathan George saw a net bound effort deflected over the bar and James Hatch just failed to reach an Israel Ajana cross in front of a beckoning net. Oadby hit back with Henry Langley joining the attack to fire narrowly wide from 30 yards and then visiting keeper James Goff did well under pressure to gather a cross from Suleiman Nassor. Yash Chavda volleyed wide as the home side began to look the more threatening but the pressure on St Neots was relieved in a four minutes’ spell as half time approached.  After 43 minutes the lively Harvey Williams (left) switched wings and cut through the home defence to open the scoring with a well-placed low shot, and two minutes into added time the scoreline was doubled as Jordan Brown (right) stabbed home from close range after James Hatch had headed down a Tommy Reynolds free kick from the right.

St Neots returned after the break to carry on where they had left off.   After 51 minutes it was 3-0 when a Williams cross field pass set up Israel Ajana and his low shot was misjudged by the home keeper Frederick Craven who helped the ball into the net. Seven minutes later it was 4-0 as Dammy Nickels sent a perfectly placed lob over the defence and Jordan Brown ran through unchallenged to beat the keeper. Four minutes later a mistimed challenge by Magloire Muyembe upended an attacker to concede a penalty kick, confidently tucked away by Suleiman Nasser to give the home side a foothold. After 73 minutes it was 5-1 when the hardworking James Hatch (left)  was left unmarked to head a Tommy Reynolds free kick into the home net, but Oadby had the last word with a 90th minute second goal from Mussa Bham.




Today’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match, kindly sponsored by The Greystones Public House, Sawtry – JAMES HATCH








St Neots Town:   Goff, Reynolds, Nickels, Dummett, George, Josh Brown, Ajana, Muyembe, Jordan Brown, Hatch,  Williams

Subs:  Rowley (for Ajana 66 mins), Romero (for Muyembe 74 mins), Smith (for Williams 81 mins), Kalek, and Mawer.

Cards:  none

GNG Oadby Town:   Craven, Chavda, Okoro, Francis, Bains, Langley, Nassor, Bhandal, Parkes, Hussain, Hodges

Subs:  Bham (for Chavda 51 mins), Morton (for Langley 85 mins), Gill, and Hatega.

Cards:  Chavda (Y – 13 mins)

Attendance: 35

Referee:  George Younger (Nottingham)

(John Walker)