ST NEOTS TOWN U18      2         MARCH TOWN U18        1                  

After two postponements and without a league match for almost three weeks, St Neots took some time to find a rhythm against visiting March.   After an indifferent first half performance the Manager opted for the drastic measure of sending on all five permitted substitutes after the break to shake up his team and it had the desired effect with two goals that won them the points. However, a late goal by the visitors and a storming finish threatened to rob them of full points.

After a bright start St Neots seemed frustrated and unable to capitalise on their early dominant possession against a determined visiting defence. James Stainsby did go clear around visiting keeper Charlie Bunn, but the angle was too narrow to take full advantage and then Charlie Clark sent his effort over the crossbar. In an early breakaway attack Harry Biggs had the visitors best first half opening but his shot was well saved by George Anthony.   St Neots openings came and went with a Max Kimpton corner cleared off the line and the first half ended with Kevin Fernandes missing a late first half chance for the visitors.

The reshaped St Neots side looked far better after the break. After just nine minutes the lively Jack Nicholls set up Joe Jackson for the opening goal and after Jackson had seen a second effort cleared off the line it was Nicholls again who cut inside from the left to release Jackson for his eighth league goal of the season in just six appearances. Now St Neots were able to coast with Bunn having to save bravely at the feet of Jackson and Kimpton racing through the visiting defence but putting his effort wide. The St Neots twin defenders Ethan Plummer and Luke Smith dominated but in the last five minutes March mounted a spirited late comeback as Rhys Topley gave then hope with an 88th minute goal but the home side held out to take the points.

St Neots:  Anthony, Cardoso, Kimpton, Khoo, Plummer, Smith, Samupita, Baker, Stainsby, Clark, Tonks

Subs:   Paton, Jackson, Nicholls, Hargreaves, and Bell.

Cards:  Nicholls (Y – 59 mins), Plummer (Y – 45+5 mins)

Referee:   Jack Badcock

(John Walker)