ST NEOTS TOWN      1     COGENHOE UTD         0  

St Neots returned to the top of the table courtesy of Jordan Brown’s early strike. The visitors then had a player dismissed early in the second half before staging a late ten-man comeback that stretched St Neots defensive skills to the limit. However, St Neots held on to the three points haul that took them back to the top of the table with former leaders Newport Pagnell not in action. After their tough home match with Yaxley three days earlier this was a good response in preparation for their next home game in ten days – their next FA Vase match with visiting Great Wakering Rovers. Manager Cameron Mawer was upbeat praising his side for their resilience following Saturday’s home draw with high flying Yaxley. He had included wide men Harvey Williams and Israel Ajana – the latter for his senior debut after fourteen substitute appearances – with Tom Rowley and Sam Johnson rested. The only other change saw the return of defender Dammy Nickels with Dean Dummett on the substitutes bench.

St Neots Town were quickly into their stride with Harvey Williams sending a free kick narrowly over the crossbar and then after nine minutes Israel Ajana went past his marker to cross for James Hatch and when his shot rebounded off a defender Jordan Brown was on hand to open the scoring. St Neots then enjoyed a good spell of attacking pressure without adding to their lead. Williams was brought down on the edge of the area, but the free kick came to nothing and then Jordan Brown saw another effort smothered by a defender. The visitors’ first effort after 25 minutes saw Jack Connor’s effort pushed for a corner and Cogenhoe had two players booked for breaking up promising home attacks. Enjoying his full debut, Ajana was terrorising the visiting defence and he brought a good save from visiting keeper Adam North after a mazy run. As half time approached the visiting side enjoyed a brief attacking spell in which James Goff saved comfortably from Connor before an effort by Leon Dalton landed on the roof of the St Neots net.

Five minutes after the break Jordan Brown( pictured left) saw an effort deflected for a corner and then six minutes later the visitors were reduced to ten men when Dalton reacted violently to a booking for a foul and was sent off. Williams was heavily brought down and had to be substituted with Tom Rowley on in his place and he added some ideas and pace in attack. Another effort by Jordan Brown was deflected for a corner as St Neots sought to take advantage of their numerical superiority. After a spell of dour defending the visitors threw caution to the wind making three quick substitutions to assume a more attacking approach. It almost paid off as St Neots was pushed back to defend but despite enjoying a greater share of possession the visitors never seriously tested the home goal with Goff never really extended.



Tonight’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match – Kindly sponsored by The Greystones Public House, Sawtry – ISRAEL AJANA




St Neots Town:   Goff, Reynolds, Nickels, Josh Brown, George, Lincoln, Williams, Muyembe, Jordan Brown, Hatch, Ajana

Subs:  Rowley (for Williams 46 mins), Dummett (for Muyembe 65 mins), Perkins (for Jordan Brown 90+1 min), Kalek, and Romero.

Cards:  Hatch (Y – 56 mins), Lincoln (Y – 88 mins)

Cogenhoe United:   North, Atat, Osoimoejiokhian, Parkes, Dimon, Mallard, Mobbs, Farmer, Connor, Dalton, Hall

Subs:  Bako (for Hall 53 mins), Bullemont (for Atat 77 mins), Pearson (for Connor 80 mins), Channell (for Farmer 82 mins),Carlin (for Mobbs 90 mins)

Cards:  Dalton (RED – 54 mins), Atat (Y – 7 mins), Conor (Y – 27 mins), Farmer (Y – 34 mins) Bullemont (Y – 78 mins)

Attendance: 234

Referee:  Josh Williams (Milton Keynes)

John Walker