St Neots Town         3         Hinckley LR         0         

Neither of the two sides had won a league match prior to this meeting, and it was to be St Neots Town who broke their duck with a positive if not commanding display. Hinckley, at Step Four after promotion, never looked likely to spoil St Neots’ bank holiday and the visitors’ problems were compounded when they lost Simon Alcott who picked up two yellow cards in just three second half minutes. St Neots, with four team changes, took some time to settle in the first half but the bonus was having back those four players after spells of injury. Now on the way back to full strength, the side can only grow in confidence but face a tough challenge next with an away trip to Step Three Bishops Stortford in the upcoming weekend FA Cup tie. Back into the side came Trey Charles and Andre Hasanally along with full backs Charlie Lewis and Charlie Stallard. Making way and starting on the bench were Aaron Smith, Robbie Mason, Manny Osei and George Hoddle.

Understandably, St Neots made a slow start and the visiting team looked sharp in the opening spell with Danny Jenno sending an early free kick over the bar, Simon Alcott bringing a good save from Jamie Greygoose and Dominic Brennan having a threatening corner punched clear. St Neots settled with Trey Charles and Declan Nche seeing efforts just wide of target. With Greygoose unsighted Andre Williams sliced a shot just wide of the far post whilst at the other end skipper Callum Anderson shot wide. Greygoose was again in important action after 31 minutes when the lively Williams got behind the St Neots defence to cross and Joseph Lyne stung the goalkeepers’ hands with a snapshot from ten yards. However, with the visitors not making their openings count, St Neots Town took full advantage after 36 minutes when a searing run from the half-way line by Joe Tarpey left the visiting defence flat-footed as he set up Declan Nche for his third goal of the campaign. En-route to goal the lively Saleem Akanbi was upended by Jenno earning the visiting player a booking and in first half time added Domonic Brennan broke through the home defence but shot over the bar.

St Neots looked better after the break and from a Hasanally corner, defender Toib Adeyemi headed narrowly wide. Brennan had a shot comfortably saved by Greygoose, but St Neots were doing the bulk of the attacking and Akanbi had two shots blocked by defenders.   Simon Alcott was booked for upending Hasanally as he sped towards goal after 62 minutes and three minutes later an incident almost certainly decided the outcome of this match.

  Akanbi darted into the area past his marker to be brought down by a defender and the Referee pointed to the penalty spot. The visitors were incensed earning Alcott a second booking and dismissal and goalkeeper Will Highland also found his way into the Referee’s notebook. Amid the chaos, Trey Charles kept his cool to fire home an unstoppable penalty for his first goal of the game. Hasanally and Akanbi both went close to extending the lead before after 77 minutes Trey Charles produced a perfectly placed finish to add his second goal and end any hopes of a Hinckley comeback.   St Neots even had the luxury of sending on two new strikers in Robbie Mason and Manny Osei with the goal scorers moving back into midfield.



Today’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match was awarded to DECLAN NCHE


St Neots: Greygoose, Lewis, Stallard, Anderson, Beckett, Adeyemi, Hasanally, Tarpey, Charles, Nche, Akanbi.

Subs: Smith (for Stallard 63 mins), Osei (for Lewis 58 mins), Mason (for Akanbi 80 mins) Sackey-Mensah and Hoddle.

Cards: none

Goals: Charles (2) 65 mins – pen – & 77 mins), Nche (36 mins)

Hinckley LR: Highland, Acton, Bahrey, Alcott, Jenno, Humphreys, Brown, Lyne, Williams, Brennan, Burrows.

Subs: Reeves (for Jenno 69 mins), Gore (for Burrows 83 mins), Jones, Gill, and Roggero.

Cards: Alcott (RED 2nd Y –  62 & 65 mins), Jenno (Y – 45 mins), Highland (Y – 65 mins)

Goals: none

Referee: Chris Darling (Newmarket)

Attendance: 247

John Walker