St Neots U18 side kicked off the defence of their Thurlow Nunn league title in a real thriller at Godmanchester running out winners by the odd goal in seven. The winning goal came just four minutes from time after a midway second half avalanche of goals that saw three scored in just a seven minutes’ spell. Without several players the visitors will have been delighted to recover from being a goal down just past the hour mark and the home side will have been devastated to concede that late winning goal after a fighting display.

St Neots got off to a good start and took the lead in their second attack after twelve minutes. Calum Paton joined the attack to cross to Joseph Jackson who scored at the second attempt after home keeper Owen Dyer had smothered his first attempt. However, their lead last just six minutes and then Samuel Tagg levelled the scores with a well struck angled shot. St Neots were then reduced to ten men when Jack Nicholl was ‘sin binned’ leaving the visitors on the defensive for as spell. After his ten minutes spell on the side lines, St Neots went back on the offensive and both Nicholls and James Stainsby went close to reinstating St Neots’ lead and right on half time Dyer produced the best save of the first half to deny a close range header by Luke Smith from a corner.

After the break St Neots had the ball in the net but the effort was chalked off by an offside flag. The home side then grabbed the initiative when Will Jolly reinstated their lead just past the hour.   With substitutes on St Neots regrouped and three minutes later Jaiden Bell levelled the scores and five minutes after that the visitors were in front when from a free kick Luke Smith rose above the defence to head past Dyer. St Neots narrow lead lasted just two minutes and then a long throw from Jason Kissi to the centre of the goal seemed to be misjudged by the visiting defence and it finished up in the net. Both sides were now on the offensive with play moving from end to end and four minutes from time St Neots grabbed a late winner when a cross was converted.

St Neots Town:  Anthony, Tonks, Plummer, Paton, Smith, Khoo, Nichols, Clark, Jackson, Webster, Stainsby.

Subs:   Baker, Morris, Samupita, Bell and Watson.

Cards:  Clark (Y – 22 mins)

Referee:   Marcus Larham

(John Walker)