ST NEOTS TOWN U18      3        WISBECH ST MARY U18       0    

This routine victory over Wisbech St Mary sealed St Neots’ fourth consecutive League championship after two seasons had been lost to COVID and with two matches to spare. The visitors arrived unbeaten away from home in the current campaign but their hopes of maintaining that unique record began to disappear after just sixty seconds when St Neots scored in their first attack. It was a victory built on an impressive first half display and after the break the young Saints were able to almost freewheel their way to the title as a well-organised defensive display by the visiting side kept them at bay.

After that first significant attack in which Charlie Clark guided home a searching cross to put St Neots in control, the match settled with St Neots dictating the pattern of play and leading home scorer Julinho Gomes had two efforts well saved by visiting keeper Tyler Key. However after 22 minutes St Neots doubled their advantage as the impressive Luke Hargreaves weaved his way through the visiting defence to set up Julinho Gomes for a routine finish. Marley Ugarte-Edwards almost added to the score when he ran through to angle a shot narrowly wide of the far post but towards the end of the first half the visitors became more adventurous carving out a couple of openings for themselves.   Martin Tudosa tested home keeper George Anthony with a well-struck free kick, and then a cross-cum shot from Jordan-Lee Woods clipped the St Neots crossbar.

St Neots attacking domination continued for a white after the break as Alfie Carberry headed narrowly over the bar from a Ryan Thomas cross but the third goal just past the hour mark from a lengthy effort from Julinho Gomes – his twentieth goal in just fourteen appearances this season – gave the visitors an unsurmountable task.   They opted not to vary their defensive tactics and Gomes almost claimed a fifth hat trick of the season, but his firmly hit drive was deflected for a corner.   St Neots then sent all five permitted substitutes to afford them some game time and their attacking became limited as the visiting defence stood firm.  It was St Neots’ sixth consecutive home victory this season in which they have netted thirty- two goals.

St Neots Town:    Anthony, Hargreaves, Thomas, Clark, Fransisco, Camfield, Smalley, Timberlake, Carberry, Ugarte-Edwards, Gomes

Subs used:   Kimpton, Nshangalume, Conway, Jackson and Payton.

Cards:  none

Referee:  Paul Dobbs

(John Walker)