NEWPORT PAGNELL         1             ST NEOTS TOWN         0          

With only two wins and four draws in their last nine league matches St Neots are determined to earn a play-off place the hard way. A victory at Newport Pagnell would more or less have assured that place at the end of the season but they now go into their remaining four matches still needing a victory to ensure any remaining chance of promotion. Once again team changes seemed to have upset the rhythm of the side with Charlie Bowen and recent signing Nabil Shariff unavailable for the trip and rested Christian Tavernier, joining Magloire Muyembe on the substitutes bench. Back into the side came Nathan George, Rhys Thorpe and Dean Dummett with Michael Amaeshike who was making only his third start. Manager Cameron Mawer saw his side struggle in a disappointing first half performance before creating enough second half openings to cancel out the first half injury time goal claimed by the home side.

On a miserable wet evening St Neots was looking to avenge a 3-0 home reversal at the hands of their hosts way back on August Bank Holiday at the start of the season.  However, that never looked to be likely as the reshaped visiting side struggled to string passes together in a disappointing first 45 minutes. The first two serious attempts on goal came from the home side with efforts by former Saint Ben Ford and Luke Abraham but both were too high. St Neots first notable attack came after 40 minutes when Rhys Thorpe went clear but driven wide, he could only finish with an effort over the crossbar. On the stroke of half time Ford sent a free kick wide of target but in their next attack Pagnell took the lead as Ford crossed for defender Adan Miles to give his side a half time lead.

St Neots needed a positive response after the break and with Christian Tavernier on for Dean Dummett they adopted a more attacking approach and when James Hatch was brought down it earned Christian Smail a caution. Home substitute George Herbert joined his teammate in the Referee’s notebook for a foul on Jordan Brown and it was the same St Neots player who then saw his shot rebound back into play from the foot of a post. With ten minutes to go St Neots should have had an equaliser but Thorpe delayed his finish and Smail got back to hook the ball off the line and St Neots best chance of the match went begging. The match ended disappointingly with Robbie Parker and Kieran Baines sent off after an unseemly scuffle.


Rank Teams Played Won Drawn Lost For Against Goal difference Points Current form
1 Wellingborough Town 38 29 5 4 92 32 60 92 WWWWW
2 Racing Club Warwick 38 24 8 6 90 44 46 80 DLWWD
3 Aylestone Park 38 25 5 8 103 60 43 80 LWWLW
4 St Neots Town FC 38 22 9 7 74 35 39 75 LLWWW
5 March Town United 38 22 9 7 69 40 29 75 WWDWD
6 Newport Pagnell Town 37 19 5 13 70 53 17 59 WWDLD
7 Yaxley FC 37 16 8 13 76 60 16 56 LLDDW
8 GNG Oadby Sports 38 16 7 15 74 89 -15 55 DWLLW


Tonight’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match – Kindly Sponsored by The Greystones Public House, Sawtry – NATHAN GEORGE








St Neots Town:   Goff, Parker, Culkin, Amaeshike, Brookes, George, Brown, Dummett, Thorpe, Hatch, Furlong

Subs: Tavernier (for Dummett 54 mins), Ajana (for Furlong 67 mins), Nickels, Muyembe, and Akinbobola

Cards:  Parker (RED – 84 mins)


Newport Pagnell Town:  Rose, Miles, McNeil, Abraham, Burnside, Ford, Nkita, Smail, Barnes, Walker, Sheppard

Subs:   Herbert (for Abraham 54 mins), Olukami (for Burnside 77 mins), Lynham, Patching, and Njorage

Cards:   Barnes (RED – 84 mins), Nkita (Y – 4 mins), Smail (Y – 59 mins), Herbert (Y – 63 mins)

Attendance: 153

Referee:  Simon Dutton (Bedford)

 (John Walker)