ST NEOTS TOWN         1           WELLINGBOROUGH TOWN          2 

Former St Neots striker Neo Richard-Noel, The league’s leading scorer, returned to haunt his former colleagues with a fine individual second half goal to steal all three points in a tightly fought encounter. The result ended St Neots magnificent run of league results than has extended to fifteen matches undefeated since they were beaten at Wellingborough on 11th November last year. However, despite that outstanding run of form, the competitive nature of the division has left St Neots in fourth place in the league table – just the same where they were four months ago!  With a run of fixtures against the top sides in the Division behind them, St Neots must now redouble their efforts in their final seven league matches to earn a top five finish and a berth in the end of season play off matches. Manager Cameron Mawer made just one change in the team starting line-up returning for again Rob Parker to the defence at the expense of Dammy Nickels.

St Neots began in a positive vein with full back Murphy Culkin sending a free kick across the face of goal and Jordan Brown having a shot blocked after good work by Chris Tavernier. Then in their first attack of note the visitors took the lead after ten minutes as Jessi Obeng was allowed to find his way through a square lying defence to put the visitors in front. Five minutes later Connor Furlong, who had been taken ill in the midweek match at Daventry, was sadly replaced by Harvey Williams after his own injury break, but unfortunately, he only last five minutes before a heavy tackle saw the St Neots substitute substituted with Israel Ajana introduced. Around that period St Neots struggled to put together any threatening attacks but after 28 minutes they were level as skipper James Hatch set up Chris Tavernier (right) for a magnificently struck equaliser that will be a contender for goal of the season. Just before half time, Jordan Brown cut in from the left but saw his shot deflected for a corner.

The second half began with two good efforts by home skipper James Hatch both gathered by the visiting keeper but then on the break Neo Richard-Noel took on the home defence before unleashing a fierce cross shot that went in off the far post to restore Wellingborough’s lead. In reply, Rhys Thorpe volleyed over the bar after good work by Rob Parker and that was his last involvement as he was replaced by substitute Michael Amaeshike. Brown appealed vainly for a penalty when he was brought down as he sped into the penalty area and the visitors swiftly broke to the other end where James Goff had to be alert to save a rising shot from Callum Milne. More substitutions followed and then Charlie Bowen up for a corner headed wide. Ajana then tested the Adam North. and the visiting keeper then saved his side diving bravely at the feet of Amaeshike. As added time ticked away the same St Neots player headed wide, and the league leaders extended their lead at the top of the table to nine points with second placed Aylestone Park held to a draw by bottom side Desborough.


Rank Teams Played Won Drawn Lost For Against Goal difference Points
1 Wellingborough Town 38 29 5 4 92 32 60 92
2 Racing Club Warwick 38 24 8 6 90 44 46 80
3 Aylestone Park 38 25 5 8 103 60 43 80
4 St Neots Town FC 38 22 9 7 74 35 39 75
5 March Town United 38 22 9 7 69 40 29 75
6 Newport Pagnell Town 37 19 5 13 70 53 17 59
7 Yaxley FC 37 16 8 13 76 60 16 56
8 GNG Oadby Sports 38 16 7 15 74 89 -15 55




Today’s Saints Supporters’ Man of the Match – Kindly Sponsored by The Greystones Public House, Sawtry – CHRIS TAVERNIER






St Neots Town:   Goff, Parker, Culkin, Tavernier, George, Bowen, Brown, Dummett, Thorpe, Hatch, Furlong

Subs:  Williams (for Furlong 16 mins), Akinbobola (for Williams 26 mins), Amaeshike (for Thorpe 64 mins), Muyembe (for Dummett 73 mins), and Nickels.

Cards:  Bowen (Y – 90+4 mins)

Wellingborough Town:  North, Green, Alexander, Solkhon, O’Connor, Buckby, Obeng, Milne, Richard-Noel, Johns, Iaciofano

Subs:   McBride (for Johns 72 mins), Barnell (for Milne 86 mins), Jones (for Richard-Noel 86 mins), Bates and Panter.

Attendance: 387

Referee:  David Froom (Sharnbrook)

(John Walker)